Friday, September 05, 2014

Massachusetts and Norman Rockwell Museum


No Wildlife in New England . . .
Except for one roadside moose (pictured above), there is very little wildlife in the Northeast. Canada has squirrels and crows. And Massachusetts has a metal moose! Go figure!!!

A visit to Norman Rockwell's Museum . . . 
Norman Rockwell Museum and Studio
A visit to the heart of Massachusetts is  not complete without seeing Norman Rockwell's Museum. The studio above was moved from downtown Sturbridge to the Museum, but it is intact as if he was still working inside.

Wandering through the museum, I couldn't help but think of my own family. I saw family members everywhere I looked. I was raised in the country and during the time period that Rockwell painted about.

My cousin, Rita and I would sit in her attic bedroom and dream of being movie stars

For my cousin, Beverly, who is into genealogy

This is my cousin James, who was a lineman working in Florida

Town of Sturbridge
Rockwell's home and studio in far right side of painting above
A docent at the museum explained that Rockwell's intent in his paintings was to see how high he could get the eyebrows on his subjects. He was big on expressions. He loved the children in the community and always had children stopping by his studio after school to visit. He must have been a very interesting artist to know.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Oh Jo Anna this is awesome - Vicki and I back in the 1960s went to an art gallery on Las Olas Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale to see a Norman Rockwell Art Show - wow what an honor to see his work in person, right!? James was right - I didn't open it up and see HIM already!!

    ReplyDelete